Living away from home allowance


You are here:

Living Away From Home Allowance

Living Away From Home LAFHA iStockIf you have to live away from home temporarily for work purposes, you could salary package some of your expenses and save money.

The Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA) helps you to cover additional costs for food and accommodation you may incur when you move to a new location temporarily for work purposes. To salary package this expense you must intend to return to your usual place of residence once you finish your work away from home.

What exactly can I package?

Living Away from Home expenses can include your expenses for rented accommodation at your new location and additional food costs while you work away from home.

If your spouse and children relocate with you, their expenses can also be salary packaged.

Each month you can claim up to a maximum amount on extra food costs, depending on who lives with you while you're working away from home.

Note: to claim accommodation costs from your salary packaging account, you must provide us with a copy of your rental agreement and contract of employment.  

Who can package this?

LAFHA can apply to:

  • Australians working overseas (for no more than four years)
  • Australian residents moving to a new town, city or state.

You could salary package LAFHA if you work for a:

  • charity or other not-for-profit organisation
  • private organisation
  • government department or agency.

Log into My Employer Hub to ensure your employer offers this benefit.

How much could you save each year?

At RemServ, we take the guesswork out of salary packaging.

Use our salary packaging calculator to estimate how much you could save.

Ready to get started?

Already packaging - but now want to package LAFHA too?


LiveChat: False